7A Rugby draw in a great tussle with Orewa

7A Rugby Report – 23 June 2018

Vs Orewa College – Drew 29 All

Tries: Nic Tapper, Harry Kaveriri, Harry Sinclair, Freddie Forsythe Myka Newman,

Conversions: Harry Sinclair (2)


In fantastic weather conditions for rugby, an almost full King’s 7A squad fronted up for their last home game in the first Round Robin stage of the competition. Playing Orewa College. (who came to King’s just 2 points behind them on the competition ladder and well aware of the importance of the match if they were to hold their Top Four position), just 12 minutes in, King’s registered their first points following some great forward work with a try to 2nd five Nick Tapper. Harry Sinclair converted, and King’s took and early 7-point lead.

However, any early complacency was quickly shattered when Orewa, 8-minutes later, scored a well worked forward try to see the score line shorten to 7-5.

Having been given a sharp wake up call King’s responded with wonderful backline tries to Harry Kaveriri (23rd minute), Harry Sinclair (28th minute) and an outstanding converted forward try right on half time to Freddie Forsythe who, given this was the third time this season, seems to have calibrated his try scoring homing device to ensure any points he scores are scored right under or beside the posts.


Despite a stern warning at half time that Orewa would come back at them strongly in the first 10 minutes of the second half, King’s soon saw their line crossed by another good Orewa forward charge and the score shortened to 24 – 10.

King’s then again upped the pressure in a game that see-sawed both ways and after 18-minutes of the second half were rewarded with a runaway try to Myka Newman that went unconverted and at 29-10 re-imposed King’s 19-point advantage.

Whether complacency or fatigue was an issue is open to debate but with just 10 minutes to go a “never say die” Orewa side score twice to shorten the King’s lead to 29 – 22. Then, in the final minute of play, the unthinkable occurred and as the ball floated out the King’s backline, an intercept by Orewa’s centre saw a runaway try scored under the posts and the conversion finalise the game as a 29-all draw.

Player of the day, William Olde played his heart out and well deserved the accolades given to him by both the Orewa and King’s sides.

Given this is the same issue 7A faced in their match against Westlake Red two weeks ago when a 17 – 5 lead with 10 minutes to go saw them lose 19-17, should they still be lucky enough to make the top four, it is to be hoped the need to commit themselves 100% for the full 60 minutes is a lesson now well and truly learnt!