1st XV win big against Kelston Boys’

Our final game for the term was against old foes and traditionally strong Kelston Boys’ High School here at King’s College on Saturday. Kelston were coming off a big win against Auckland Grammar School and were sitting just behind us on the table in 5th position, 6 points in arrears. We therefore knew that their season and chances of making the semi-finals was dependent on their result from our match. So, throughout the week, the coaches instilled in the boys the importance of a win to secure a semi-final spot and remove Kelston from the race for the top four play-offs. I am certain that, if you said before the season started, that by the end of Term 2 we would have won 7 matches with 1 draw and 1 loss, that everyone from King’s would have been very satisfied. That is exactly how we have finished the term and although we currently sit 4th on the table, the two matches we have left to play next term are against two of the bottom placed teams, and although we will not allow ourselves to become complacent, we would expect to win both games comfortably, whilst the three teams above us on the table all have to play each other, so our chances of finishing 2nd or 3rd look very strong.

Kelston have a young team this year and up until our match, had put together some good performances that had seen them win 5 out of 8 matches. Our coaches asked the boys to start well, something that we have not always done in previous matches this season. This is exactly what happened and before 15 minutes was up on the clock, we had already scored 4 tries to secure a bonus point to captain and No 8 Millenium Sanerivi, centre Lukas Halls, lock Isaiah Mapusuaand halfback Thorn Parkes. Kelston were just unable to get into the game as we played some superb rugby at pace and showed patience and skills that their coaches told us after the game, they had not seen from any of the teams they had played this season. By halftime, we had added three more tries to flanker Judda Turahui, first five-eigth Zarn Sullivanand fullback Aidan Morgan. Morgan converted 6 of the 7 tries and by halftime the game was over at 47 – 0.

Our large halftime score allowed the coaches to bring the reserves into the game in the second half and gave everyone once again, some valuable game time for the 22 players chosen to play this game. To their credit, Kelston did not drop their shoulders and continued their attacking style of rugby that eventually paid dividends for them as they scored 2 converted tries. Unfortunately for them though, we scored a further 4 tries to right wing Temple KalepoSanerivi again (before he was replaced), Halls again and finally, to left wing Meihana Grindlay to finish the game with a resounding victory – 67 – 14. Once again, our defense was superb and although we let in 2 tries, was the major difference between the two sides, especially in the first half. This was the perfect way to round off what has been a very successful and pleasing term’s rugby.

On the second weekend of the school holidays (Saturday 21st July – kickoff at midday), we have a traditional match against Palmerston North Boys High School here at King’s. It will be good for the boys to have a bit of a break now, following an intense term of rugby, but not too much, as we have our next Championship match on the last Saturday of the holidays before we return to school (28 July – kickoff at 2.30pm) at home against Liston College. There are also a number of players that have been deservedly chosen to represent various Auckland Blues schoolboy representative teams in the holidays; we wish them all the best as they enjoy higher honours and a chance to represent our beautiful city.